Stranger Interview

  

A young nonchalant auto driver from Chennai


Pavi Selvan details about his love-hate relationship with driving heavy vehicles to mini auto rickshaws in different parts in South India, Particularly Kerala.

 “Enne paatha padicha maari theriyitha?” – do I look literate? asked Pavi Selvan -23year old auto driver hailing from Thrichy, Tamil Nadu. Selvan currently drives an auto in Chennai. He asked me in doubt why I still study. “Kashtama ille, padikarth? - isn't it hard to keep studying? Knowing that I am from Kerala, he had his views to share. “Kerala oru simply wasteland, oora ath? , pavam nee-Kerala is a simple waste land, is it even livable, poor you”.

The very morning Selvan got into a fight with a Keralite who did not give him the right auto fare. “Ava vandilu erumbothe prachana, ath vidu”- right when he stepped into the auto itself the problem started, leave it”.

Selvan lives with his Amma-mother, Appa- father and two brothers. His mother is a homemaker, his father is a laborer and his younger brother studies BSc physics, the youngest is in 12th std. “Enakk padipp setakath atha driving- Studying isn't for me so I drive”. He said.

 Selvan had been driving for fourteen years. He said he still doesn’t own a license to drive an auto. He pays fine on a daily basis when caught by police, He has a police customer based in Alathur, Chennai who doesn't mind helping him get out of risky situations when caught. “Kasu illene mattum than en customere koopitt, sir puduchuttange nu sol ve”- If I do not have money to pay the fine, I let him know that I am caught so help me”, he said.

Selvan had been driving an auto for seven years.  He has worked in different parts of Kerala like Mangalore, Palakkad, Calicut, Kollam and Thiruvananthapuram. He used to drive heavy vehicles like tanker lorries in a gas plant in Kerala back then.

Selvan got into a severe accident when he was eighteen that took a big toll on his life and didn’t want to talk much about it.

His take on Kerala is fascinating, “Sapadu ketta porotta pathu rupa, mutta curry nappath rupa,manasatchi venama- when I ask for food there, Porotta costs ten and egg curry is forty, do they have any conscience” he asked.  He also ponders why they give colored water to drink in Kerala which he isn’t fond of.

“When today morning the guy I fought with told me to learn from Kerala I kept thinking that I don't even eat in Kerala”. he commented. Selvan thinks driving is a jolly profession.

He kept asking me questions about what I do and why I ask him questions.When he realized I study at ACJ, he said “ AC ellam enak set aaakath” - AC isn't for me.

Selvam mocked my Tamil throughout the conversation and asked me “Enne patti thaan ezhutha poriya, en manam kappal eruma?” you are going to write about me right, will my dignity sail away?

 He also asked me to get him good hair oil from Kerala, “Neraya beard venam , kedacha sollu okay? – Get me nice beard oil from Kerala , okay? He reminded me again when we bid goodbye.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PENNING HONOUR......

CYCLING; THE NOVEL FAD

How Unbelievable got it right